Saving Your Charleston Office Building From Water Damage
SERVPRO Helps Commercial Buildings with Water Damage Restoration in Charleston
SERVPRO Provides Water Removal and Cleanup for Charleston Businesses
Office buildings can easily be seen all throughout Charleston. With so much valuable and sensitive information contained in every one of these facilities, it is no wonder that many of them have state-of-the-art security systems and even guards to monitor nighttime activities. One thing that your security system cannot protect these files and valuable equipment from is water damage from an unexpected break, however.
Water damage to your Charleston office building does not have to be an overwhelming and traumatic event, so long as you already know whom to call and whom you trust to get the place back in order quickly. Our SERVPRO team has a long-standing history of restoring water damage in commercial properties, and we have the tools and experience to do the job efficiently and to do it right.
From the moment that our crew arrives on the scene, our assessment process begins. The objective here is to determine the source of the water damage and to keep this situation from getting worse. Once the source of the water has been repaired by us if minor, or stopped, restoration of the affected area can officially begin. Depending on the severity of the situation, water extraction efforts might be the first step in the plan. Typically for water that is not pooling heavily, portable pumps and wet-vacs suffice for water extraction.
Drying the area is the next step, as this completely removes all of the moisture and allows for a more thorough look at potential structural damages and areas in need of repair. Drying is typically done using a combination of air movers and dehumidification equipment. To ensure that all of the water has been dried out, thermal imagery might get employed to survey inside of walls and under flooring for wet spots. These are areas that cannot get seen with the naked eye, but leaving the moisture could later result in mold growth.
Our SERVPRO team commits itself to working quickly and thoroughly to mitigate your losses. From your out-of-pocket expenses or the time that your doors have to remain closed to the clients you serve for our restoration process to occur, our IICRC certified technicians work to make it as easy as possible for you.
If your office building has a water emergency, give SERVPRO of Downtown Charleston a call. Our rapid response team of certified restoration specialists can be reached anytime by calling (843) 577-2470.
More about this city right here
Fire Damage Emergency Tips
Most house fires start in the kitchen. Cooking is the leading cause of home fire injuries. Electric stoves are involved in more fires than gas.
What you can do until help arrives
After any fire damage situation, your primary focus should be safety:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Electrical and "slip and fall" hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
- Wet materials can be VERY heavy. Be careful!
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting your SERVPRO Franchise Professional.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
Have A Fire or Smoke Damage Emergency?
Call Us Today – (843) 577-2470
Effects of Water Damage
Clean water has no contamination.Grey water has contaminants that are not considered pathogenic. Black water has pathogenic contamination.
Causes of Water Damage
There are many causes of water damage. Leaky dishwashers, clogged toilets, broken pipes, broken dishwasher hoses, overflowing washing machines, leaky roofs, plumbing leaks, and foundation cracks are just some of the possible causes of water damage in homes and businesses. Natural causes also can cause water damage floods, heavy snow, and heavy rain are other possible causes of this type of damage and can lead to having water in basements.
SERVPRO understands every water damage situation is a little different, and requires a unique solution, but the general process stays the same. The steps listed below illustrate our process for the “typical” water damage emergency.
Moisture promotes the growth of mold and other organisms, increasing the risk for serious health problems. Mold exposure may aggravate allergy and asthma symptoms, especially in children and people with compromised immune systems. Exposure may also increase the risk for respiratory diseases and other medical problems. Cleaning up immediately can help mitigate the health effects of water damage on everyone in a home or commercial space.
Have a Water Damage?
Call Us Today – (843) 577-2470
What is Mold?
Mold (or mould) is a term used to refer to fungi that grow in the form of multicellular thread-like structures called hyphae.
Mold Is Everywhere! You can easily spot the most visible type of mold, called mildew, which begins as tiny black spots that often grows into larger colonies.
Mold growth requires moisture. The sources of moisture could be Washing, cooking, air humidifiers, condensation or leaks from plumbing or from the outside. Poor ventilation contributes to higher humidity levels and leads to condensation, which also allows mold growth.
If you have a mold problem in your home or business, consider the following facts:
- Significant mold growth can occur in 48-72 hours.
- Mold may present a greater risk to children, the elderly, and anyone with respiratory problems.
- A strong, musty odor may indicate hidden mold behind drywall or under carpeting.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Downtown Charleston for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
What you can do until help arrives
In as little as 48 hours, mold can quickly become a problem in your home or business when there’s a water intrusion, like a roof leak or leaking water line. Mold can cause health effects and can also cause significant damage to your property. SERVPRO of Downtown Charleston has the training, protective gear, and specialized equipment necessary to handle your mold problem.
Have a Mold Problem? Call Us Today – (843) 577-2470
Post-Storm Damage Clean-up
Storm and flood damage can be devastating. Immediate action is needed, and you need the company with storm damage experience. SERVPRO can help!
No Job is to Large...
SERVPRO's Disaster Recovery Team
Whether it’s a tornado, hurricane, or flood – SERVPRO Disaster Recovery Teams can provide help fast. Clean-up after a natural disaster can be an emotional and time-consuming task. We will treat you and your family with respect and empathy and your belongings with care. We pride ourselves in helping families and communities get up and running again. With our highly trained storm damage specialists we can promptly restore your property back to pre-storm condition.
When you are dealing with storm, flood, and water damage, immediate action is crucial. You should choose the company with storm damage experience and expertise that has the resources and equipment to handle the job. SERVPRO of Downtown Charleston can respond immediately to storm and flooding conditions.
Locally Owned Company with National Storm Resources
SERVPRO of Downtown Charleston is locally owned and operated—so we live and work here too, and are proud to be part of the Charleston community. We are also part of a national network of 1,700 with special Disaster Recover Teams that can respond with additional resources during catastrophic storms and major events.
We proudly serve Charleston, SC, and surrounding areas.
Have Storm or Flood Damage?
Call Us Today (843) 577-2470