What is Mold? | SERVPRO® of Downtown Charleston and Mount Pleasant
Mold Is Everywhere! You can easily spot mildew, the most visible type of mold, which starts as small black spots that often grow into larger colonies.
Mold growth requires moisture
The sources of moisture could be washing, cooking, air humidifiers, condensation, or leaks from plumbing or the outside. Poor ventilation contributes to higher humidity levels and leads to condensation, which also allows mold growth.
If you have a mold problem in your home or business, consider the following facts:
- Significant mold growth can occur in 48-72 hours.
- Mold may present a greater risk to children, older adults, and anyone with respiratory problems.
- A strong, musty odor may indicate hidden mold behind drywall or under carpeting.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
What you can do until help arrives?
In as little as 48 hours, mold can quickly become a problem in your home or business when there is a water intrusion, like a roof leak or leaking water line. Mold can cause health effects and can also cause significant damage to your property. SERVPRO® of Downtown Charleston and Mount Pleasant has the training, protective gear, and specialized equipment to handle your mold issue.
Have a Mold Problem? Contact Us Today – (843) 577-2470